Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Practicum #8-Nicole

As I wrap up my practicum semester project, I have found that the topic of support groups allowed me to see how different groups of people use the Internet differently on a regular basis. To fully understand the lives of support group users, I had to immerse myself in their networks. It was quite different from how I imagined the stereotypical support group to be. I imagined support groups to be like AA or some sort of sitting in a circle telling each other how their feelings are. Using support groups online is a much more convenient, private and non-committal way of receiving the help and guidance someone may need. Although I don't intend to continue my use of SupportGroups.com, I have learned a great deal about this type of online community. However, I do intend to continue using the marathon support groups I have joined.

No comments:

Post a Comment